[ house sketch ]
Union School House.
Since Chap. VI. of this history was printed changes have taken place, materially affecting the educational, social, and industrial relations of the town, and this chapter, which we endeavored to guard against, becomes necessary. [*1]
A committee, then at work, reported to the town at a legal meeting held on Jan. 24, 1891, recommending the immediate erection of a school house. The town then voted to proceed to build a suitable house to accommodate all of the schools of the town. An appropriation of S10,000 was made for the purpose of procuring a site and erecting the building. This was the first instance in the town’s history when a vote to build a school house of any size or kind was obtained at the first meeting held for the purpose. The building committee consisted of Wallace G. Web-
ber, Oliver J. Lane, Wallace A. Calef, Rev. Edwin Smith, and Edwin H. Blake. The work was judiciously done, and the Union School House was completed in 1891. [*2]
The following record of appropriations for public schools shows the gradual growth of the town:
1732, £5; 1733, £11 6s. 9d.; 1734, £11; 1743, £30; 1758, £20; 1797, $300; 1798–9, $250 each; 1800–1, $300; 1802, $200; 1803–4, $300; 1805–6, $330; 1807, $600; 1808–11, $400; 1812, $300; 1813–17, $400; 1818–19, $500;
[ p 110 ]
1820–1, $400; 1822–29, $450; 1830, $300; 1831, $490; 1832–34, $450; 1835, $520; 1836–44, $600; 1845, $700; 1846, $600; 1847–51, $800; 1852, $875; 1853, $900; 1854, $800; 1855, $860; 1856–60, $1000; 1861–64, $1100; 1865, $1200; 1866–70, $1300; 1871–74, $1600; 1875, $1700; 1876, $1800; 1877, $2000; 1878–1880, $1800.
In 1881 the State law required each town to furnish text-books and all supplies, hence the appropriation of that and subsequent years has been increased in sums ranging from $200 to $250 for the purpose. 1881–2. $2000; 1884, $2020; 1885. $2500; 1886, $2800; 1887, $2750; 1888, $2450; 1889, $3050; 1890, $2,750.
From 1837 to 1861 the town received its proportion of the income of the Surplus Revenue Fund. The income of the State School Fund was first received in 1835. The revenue from the Dog Tax has some years been voted to schools, but usually it has gone to the use of the Free Public Library Corporation.
Bedford united with five neighboring towns in 1890 in forming a district for supervision, and thus secured special aid from the State. George M. Wadsworth was made supervisor.
The Bedford House Association alluded to in Chapter XVI. has made extensive alterations and improvements in the hotel property, greatly benefitting the town. [*3]
The wood-working factory alluded to in Chapter XV. has undergone a radical change. [*4] A corporation has been formed under the laws of Massachusetts, and The Bedford Lumber and Manufacturing Company was chartered May 28, 1891.
It has a capital of $25,000. The company is chartered
“for the purpose of buying, selling and manufacturing all kinds of lumber and articles made of or from lumber in whole or in part, and also all articles and materials used in building and furnishing houses and other buildings, and also of painting and glazing.”
The officers are: President. Wallace G. Webber; Treasurer, Wallace A. Calef; Secretary, Charles E. Park.
The facilities of the corporation are ample. Fifty people are constantly employed, and the largest industrial interest ever established in this town had its beginning in 1891.
[ nature engraving ]
Mineral Spring (Iron).
At Bedford Springs, described in Chapter XVI., improvements are now, August, 1891, being made, which enhance the value of the property, and add to the interest of the town. [*3]
[ tipped-in page ]
[ house photo ]
Bedford Lumber and Mfg. Co.
Bedford Lumber and M’f’g Co.
- Brown’s History of the town of Bedford (1891) pp 109-110
- cf. (in this volume) pp 17-21
- cf. (in this volume) Brown’s “Appendix”
- cf. (in this volume) pp 40-41
- cf. (in this volume) pp 38-40