BACON. The name has been prominent in the territory comprising this town for more than two hundred years, and, at times, — with the exception of Lane and Hartwell, — the most numerous.
Michael^1 was the immigrant ancestor. He went from the north of England to the north of Ireland about 1633, and came to this country about seven years later, settling in Dedham about 1640. He was accompanied by his wife, three sons, — Michael,^2 Daniel,^2 and John,^2 — and a daughter, Sarah. The children are all mentioned in a will dated at Dedham, “14—2—1648.” His wife died in 1647, and he in 1648.
Michael,^2 with wife from Ireland, seems to have settled at first in Charlestown; for there, on Dec. 18, 1640, he was a petitioner for the proposed town of Woburn, and became one of the original inhabitants. He was chosen, April 13, 1644, surveyor of highways. Frothingham, in the history of Charlestown, gives a list of the inhabitants of that town between 1630 and 1640, and as the name Bacon does not appear, it is probable that Michael^2 came to Charlestown late in 1640. [*1] In a mortgage received June 8, 1675, he is alluded to as a citizen of Billerica. In August, 1675, the town of Billerica, when providing defense against the Indians in Philip’s war, assigned Michael Bacon to garrison “No. 10,” under command of Timothy Brooks. Mary, the first wife of Michael,^2 d. Aug. 26, 1655. He then married Mary Richardson of Woburn (Sewall’s history); [*2] she d. May 19, 1670. He married, 3d, Nov. 28, 1670, Mary Noyes. One of the children of Michael^2 was Michael,^3 b. about 1640.
Michael,^3 m. Mar. 22, 1660, Sarah Richardson of Woburn, who d. Aug. 15, 1694. He d. Aug. 13, 1707. They had ten children, some of whom were born in Woburn.
Michael Bacon — probably Michael^3 — purchased the Rev. Mr. Mitchell farm of 500 acres in July, 1682, for £200. This farm was a grant by Cambridge to their minister, in 1652. It was situated on the Shawshine River, and included the mill, and was known for many years as “the Bacon homestead.” Michael^3 was an occupant before the purchase, and had a mill before 1675. Paige, in his history of Cambridge, has the following: [^1]
“Michael Bacon of Woburn bought of Rodger Shaw a farm in the northwesterly part of Cambridge (now Bedford), including all the meadow adjoining to the great swamp near the east corner of Concord bounds that falls to Cambridge.” [^2][*3]
The numerous family of Bacon, prominent in the history of Bedford, have almost all descended from Michael,^3 through Jonathan^4 and Benjamin.^4 The early exceptions were children of Nathaniel, Josiah, and Joseph, sons of Michael,^3 q.v. One hundred descendants of Michael,^3 of the name of Bacon, are recorded here previous to 1822, and probably as many descendants of the daughters. In the tax-list of 1743 there are eight Bacons, six of them owning real estate. The “Bacon house,” still standing, is thought to have been built by Michael,^3 in the latter part of the seventeenth century. [*4] Six later generations of the family — in five of which were Benjamins — have been born or lived in that house. (See frontispiece.)
Among other estimable traits of the Bacons, a notable one has been their musical talent, manifested during the entire history of this town. Many of this name and their descendants have been prominently identified with vocal or instrumental music.
Jonathan,^4 2d son of Michael,^3 b. July 14, 1672, m. Jan. 3, 1694, Elizabeth Giles, who d. in 1738; [^3] m. 2d, Sept. 22, 1739, Elizabeth (Hancock) Wyman. He d. Jan. 12, 1754. (See epitaph.) [*5] Ch. Elizabeth, b. Nov. 26, 1695. Sarah, b. Dec. 25, 1696, m. Israel Putnam. Anna, d. young. Jonathan,^5 b. Dec. 18, 1700, m. Ruth ——, and had William,^6 who d. young. Mary, b. Sept. 18, 1702. Breget, b. Jan. 5, 1706-7. (See epitaph.) [*5] Anna, b. Aug. 19, 1709.
Jonathan Bacon^4 was a man of prominence in Billerica, although living far from the centre of the settlement. In 1699 he was approved by the selectmen
“to sell victuals and drink.”
It was ordered by the “Great and General Court,” in 1705, that Jonathan Bacon and others should have proportionable shares with other common proprietors and inhabitants of Billerica in all future divisions of undivided and waste lands belonging to the town, according to their proportion of the town charges for the last seven years. Jonathan, with two brothers, was in the Indian wars with “Mager Lane,” in 1706. [*6] When the town assigned the schoolmaster to the different sections, in 1722, he was to go
“one month to Jonathan Bacons.”
Jonathan^4 and brother, Josiah, protested against certain proceedings of the town in 1710. He represented the town of Billerica at the “Great and General Court” in 1726, and was selectman in 1719 and 1727. He was prominent in the petition to secure the formation of the town of Bedford. As a “principal inhabitant,” he was appointed to assemble the people in the first town meeting, Oct. 6, 1729, at which time he was chosen one of the selectmen. [^4] (See frontispiece and epitaph.) [*5] Benjamin,^4 already mentioned as the son of Michael,^3 — who, with Jonathan,^4 be-
[ tipped-in page ]
[ portrait print ]
[ signature reproduction ]
[ portrait print ]
[ signature reproduction ]
Isaac P. Bacon
[ p 3 ]
came the limbs of the ancestral tree to continue the prominence of the family in this town, — was the son to remain on the homestead. He, with brother, Joseph,^4 had land deeded by Michael,^3 their father, in 1704, deed not recorded until 1710.
Benjamin,^4 son of Michael,^3 was born about 1688, m. Dec. 2, 1712, Abigail Taylor of Concord, d. 1727 (tombstone, Billerica yard). Ch. h Benjamin,^5 b. Dec. 6, 1713. h John,^5 b. June 16, 1716. Abigail, b. Sept. 25, 1718, m. James Simonds of Woburn. Samuel,^5 b. July 21, 1721. Mary, b. ——? In a will dated Nov. 25, 1727, all the children except Mary are mentioned, and provision made for a child if one should be born after the father’s death.
Benjamin,^5 m. Feb. 15, 1739, Catherine, dau. of Col. John Lane. They both d. in 1791. Had 4 ch. d. young, h Benjamin,^6 b. 1741. Elijah,^6 b. 1754, m. Amittai Lane, d. 1788.
Benjamin Bacon^5 was a deacon of Bedford Church from 1759 till his death in 1791. In 1784 he deeded one-half of his real estate to his son Elijah. Benjamin^6 and Elijah^6 were engaged in the Concord fight. Of the twenty-six “minute men” from Bedford, at Concord fight, six were Bacons, and there were two in the company of militia in that engagement. There were nine Bacons reported as liable to do military duty May 15, 1775.
Benjamin,^6 m. May 27, 1766, Esther Davis; m. 2d, Dec. 31, 1789, Amittai (Lane) Bacon; m. 3d, Anna (Crosby) Jaquith. He d. Jan. 19, 1828. Ch. Esther, b. Mar. 24, 1767, m. —— Emes. h Benjamin,^7 b. May 6, 1769. Catherine, b. Mar. 4, 1771. m. —— Emes. Isaac,^7 d. young. Jessee,^7 d. young. h Stephen,^7 b. Sept. 28, 1778.
Benjamin Bacon,^6 by marriage with the widow of his brother Elijah, gained possession of the half of his father’s estate given to Elijah,^6 and being heir to the other half, became owner of the whole of the Bacon homestead, which at that time comprised only a part of the original Mitchell farm.
Benjamin,^7 m. Martha Preston. He d. 1838; she d. 1834. Ch. Sarah, b. Mar. 2, 1794, d. young. Esther Davis, b. July 24, 1795, d. 1867; a life-long resident of Bedford, a member of the Church of Christ (Trin. Cong.), a teacher in first Sabbath school from its organization, active in charitable works. h Elijah,^8 h. Oct. 23, 1796. Patty, b. 1798, m. James Davis. h Benjamin,^8 b. Jan. 13, 1801, d. 1888. Sarah, b. Jan. 5, 1803, m. William Whitford, d. 1831. Job Lane,^8 d. young. h Isaac Preston,^8 b. July 13, 1807. h Sylvester,^8 b. Jan. 13, 1809. Jeremiah,^8 d. young. Catharine, b. Mar. 27, 1816, m. John Moses Fitch; they formerly resided in Bedford, but have for many years been located in Michigan.
Elijah,^8 m. Jan. 26, 1823, Mary, dau. of Elisha and Dolly (Smith) Watson. He d. Jan. 16, 1875. She d. Nov. 23, 1886. Ch. Mary Elizabeth, b. June 5, 1824, m. June 4, 1846, C. W. Bulfinch. She d. Dec. 24, 1886. Maria Esther, b. Mar. 20, 1827. Martha Davis, b. Mar. 20, 1827, m. July 2, 1855, C. H. True. Harriet Lavinia, b. Oct. 12, 1829. Henry Watson,^9 b. July 8, 1839.
Elijah Bacon^8 was born, and reared as a farmer, at the ancestral homestead in Bedford (see frontispiece). Possessing inventive genius and mechanical skill, he later engaged successfully in the manufacture of agricultural implements, — notably, wrought-iron plows. As a citizen, he was highly esteemed for his sterling integrity, genial and sympathetic nature, and excellent judgment on all points
connected with agriculture. He was a member of the Church of Christ in Bedford (Trin. Cong.) nearly fifty-eight years.
Henry Watson,^9 was born in Bedford, at the homestead where six generations of his ancestors had preceded him (see frontispiece). At an early age his home was changed to the village, where he resided during his youth. Dr. Bacon has long been engaged in the practice of dentistry in Boston.
Benjamin,^8 son of Benj.^7 m. Sylvania, dau. of David and Molly Lane. Ch. Martha Sylvania, b. July 31, 1822. Family then removed from town. [*7]
Isaac Preston,^8 son of Benj.^7 m. Susanna E. dau. of Willard and Mary Buttrick. He d. Sept. 18, 1885; she d. Oct. 28, 1887. Ch. h William F.^9 b. 1834. Ellen A. b. 1835. [^5]
Isaac P. Bacon^8 was born at the ancestral homestead in Bedford, where he passed his early years (see frontispiece); subsequently learning the trade of wheelwright, at which he diligently worked until his decease. He was a man of genial yet positive nature, and of unswerving loyalty to his moral convictions. During the last eight years of his life, he was a deacon of the Church of Christ in Bedford (Trin. Cong.). A memorial window honors him in the meeting-house of the Trinitarian Congregational Society. [*8]
William F.^9 m. Julia C. Sikes; m. 2d, Mary W. Beal. Ch. Fred E.^10 b. and d. 1861. Charles A.^10 b. 1862, Dartmouth Col., 1883. Professor of Astronomy in Beloit Col. George P.^10 b. 1866, Dartmouth Col. 1887. Teacher. William A.^10 b. 1869, Dartmouth Col, 1890. Teacher. Theodore H.^10 b. 1874. Arthur A.^10 b. 1875. Julia A. b. 1877. [^6] William F. Bacon,^9 a Congregational minister of prominence, has been pastor at Amesbury, Mass., Laconia, N.H., and East Hampton, Mass.
Sylvester,^8 son of Benj.^7 m. July 19, 1843, Ann P. dau. of George and Rebecca (Siter) Rees. He d. Jan. 7, 1890. She d. Apr. 4, 1873. Ch. Emma, b. May 3, 1844, d. young. Louis,^9 b. Oct. 19, 1847, d. young. Henry,^9 b. Oct. 10, 1884, d. young. Anna L. b. June 30, 1849. George R.^9 b. May 19, 1851. Frank,^9 b. Oct. 23, 1853.
Sylvester Bacon,^8 was born in Bedford, and was a resident of the town during his early years. He later engaged in the manufacture of marble mantels in Philadelphia, Pa., where he permanently resided.
John,^5 son of Benj.^4 lived across the line in Billerica, on a share of the homestead. He m. in 1744 Elizabeth Stearns, and d. in 1760. (See epitaph.) [*5] She m. 2d, Capt. Jonathan Wilson. They had eight children, of whom four d. young, (see epitaphs), and Reuben,^6 who was at Concord fight, d. May, 1775 (see Revolution). [*5][*9] Abijah,^6 b. 1754, d. May 1, 1776. h Thompson,^6 b. Mar. 5, 1760.
Thompson,^6 m. Oct. 16, 1783, Martha, dau. of John Hosmer and Martha Webber, and gr. dau. of Benjamin Webber and Susanna Whitmore. He d. 1833; she d. 1847. Ch. Reuben,^7 d. an infant. h Jonathan,^7 b. April 15. 1785. h John,^7 b. Dec. 22, 1786. h Reuben,^7 b. Nov. 25, 1788. Nancy, b. Jan. 19, 1793, m. Dec. 16, 1819, Cyrus Warren, d. July 28, 1876. Octa, b. Feb. 27, 1795, d. July 28, 1811. Thompson,^7 b. April 16, 1797, m. April 17, 1821, Rebecca P. Porter, d. Mar. 19, 1838. [^7] Eliza, b. Oct. 4, 1799. m. Joseph Webber, Jr. Elbridge,^7 b. Aug. 2, 1800, m. April 27, 1823, Louisa Reed, d. Aug. 31, 1848. h Albert,^7 b. Aug. 24, 1802.
Thompson Bacon,^6 settled on a farm south of the village. He was a land surveyor of skill; his plans and charts are
[ p 4 ]
valuable for reference at the present time. He was a prominent Whig and later a Republican, and represented the town at the General Court in 1812.
Jonathan,^7 m. July 15, 1806, Abigail Clark. She d. May 18, 1851; [^8] he d. Aug. 2, 1856. (See biographical sketch, Chap. XXI.) Ch. Twins, d. in infancy. Abigail, b. Feb. 6, 1807, m. William Ripley, d. June 14, 1880. Clark,^8 b. Sept. 15, 1808, m. Emma C. Burr, d. Mar. 5, 1857. Frederick,^8 b. July 13, 1811, m. Ann Robbins, d. July 29, 1875. Caroline, b. July 25, 1813, m. May 14, 1837, Isaac W. Hurd. Warren,^8 b. Jan. 13, 1816, d. Jan. 22, 1822. Eliza Ann, b. Apr. 13, 1818, m. Prescott J. Bigelow, d. Mar. 29, 1859. h Warren,^8 b. Nov. 30, 1822. h Jerome Augustus,^8 b. June 21, 1827. Emma Augusta, b. Dec. 15, 1831, m. Sebastian Kramer, d. Oct. 19, 1872.
John,^7 a shoemaker, and prominent citizen of Bedford, m. Betsey Cutler. He d. Feb. 1875; she d. Jan. 1879. Ch. h Edward,^8 b. Feb. 15, 1817. h John Otis,^8 b. Sept. 1, 1822. Henry Augustus,^8 b. Aug. 16, 1838, m. Myra Nelson.
Reuben,^7 m. Sarah Clark. He d. Nov. 2, 1857; she d. Feb. 18, 1877. Ch. Sarah, b. May 19, 1807, m. Edward Flint. Nancy, b. Oct. 22, 1809, m. John Augustus Merriam. h Reuben,^8 b. Dec. 8, 1811. Martha, b. Mar. 22, 1814, m. Joseph Hosmer, d. 1885. Ann Eliza, b. Sept. 3, 1821, m. Joseph Porter, d. Sept. 3, 1860. Mary Jane, b. Mar. 14, 1824. m. Henry Townsend. Helen F. b. April 25, 1830, m. William C. Barrett of Providence, R.I. Reuben Bacon^7 was a prominent shoe manufacturer, and a leading man in town and Unitarian church. He was town clerk from 1830 to 1844, was representative to General Court from his native town in 1834 and 1839-40, and a member of the State Senate in 1836. He was a justice of the peace.
Albert,^7 m. June 2, 1825, Susan Reed. Ch. h Albert Thompson,^8 b. Dec. 8, 1827. Albert Bacon^7 was a merchant at one time, and a man of prominence in town and Unitarian church. He represented the town in the General Court in 1854. (See Officers.) He, with his companion, constitute, in 1891, the most venerable and honored couple of the town, aged 89 and 85 years respectively. The sixty-sixth anniversary of their marriage was appropriately celebrated by the town on June 2, 1891. Their bridal trip was made in a bellows-top chaise.
[ object sketch: horse and chaise ]
Jerome Augustus,^8 son of Jonathan,^7 m. Marion M. Darling; m. 2d, Lizzie F. Merriam of Boston, granddau. of Francis Jackson, a co-worker with Garrison and Phillips. She d. Jan. 6, 1882. He m. 3d, Anna R. March of Bedford. Ch. Clara D., who m. 1st, Orrin Smith, and had Marion D., and Jerome. By 2d wife, Francis Warren,^9 graduate of Harvard College, 1890, and a student at Harvard Law School. [^9] By 3d wife, Charles Aaron, b. Dec. 25, 1889. Mary and Abigail (twins), b. June 13, 1891. Jerome A. Bacon^8 was the youngest son of Jonathan.^7 He lived at
home until he was fifteen years of age, when a desire for more than an ordinary education prompted him to seek advantages outside of his native town. He attended school at Concord, under Henry and John Thoreau, and completed a course at Lawrence Academy, Groton. He paid his expenses by his own efforts. At the age of nine-teen years, his father rewarded his ambition by giving him the choice of a college course or a start in business. He chose the latter, and learned the gold leaf and dental foil business [??] in his brother Clark’s factory at Boston. After six months’ experience he was given the oversight of the apprentices, and soon started the business for himself on the homestead at Bedford. This he conducted, together with the manufacture of the patent lever blind fastener, [??] and gave employment to seventeen people. Through personal application and skillful management, he acquired sufficient wealth to enable him to relax close application, which declining health of his wife made necessary. After the death of his father, he purchased the homestead, and enlarged and beautified it for his own residence. His keen perception of business possibilities led him to purchase the mill of the Lawrence Paper Co., at Lawrence, Mass., and he entered upon the manufacture of paper entirely inexperienced. In 1881 he organized the Bacon Paper Company, taking nine-tenths of the stock himself. He then turned his attention to Berlin Falls, N.H., where he saw a remarkable water power, which he began to utilize, in company with Henry H. Furbish, in the extension of the manufacture of chemical wood fibre for paper stock, which he was already manufacturing there. They bought the entire water privilege and adjoining lands, built new mills and scores of houses for operatives. Thirty-two tons of fibre are turned out from these mills daily. The enterprise has led to the development of the town, which now has a population of about 4000 people, or nearly six times that of ten years ago. [^10] Mr. Bacon has interests in other mills, together with an orange plantation on St. John’s River, Florida, that comprises eighty acres of trees, planted under his personal supervision during a season of ill health when recuperating in that state. Mr. Bacon is a helpful friend of his native town and of the church of his father’s choice, where he worships. He is of a retiring nature, and all his acts are free from ostentation.
Albert T.^8 son of Albert,^7 m. 1848, Sarah A. Gragg, who d. Nov. 30, 1877; m. 2d, Sept. 10, 1879, Carrie L. Moar. Ch. Edna L. b. April 10, 1881. Albert Reed,^9 b. April 22, 1883. Albert T. Bacon^8 attended the schools of the town, then the academy at Concord, under Henry and John Thoreau, and later the Lawrence Academy at Groton, under Rev. James Means. He is the leader of the Bedford Cornet Band, organized in 1888. He inherited the mechanical talent of the family, which he developed by working on watch and clock machinery at his home in early life. In 1853 he entered the employ of the Boston Watch Company, then located at Roxbury. He finished the first watch completed by the company. He went with the company to their new and permanent location at Waltham, and served in the various departments of the business until he was made superintendent, in 1858, in which position he remained until 1877, when he resigned and returned to his native town. He was prominent in promoting the enterprise, and saw the small company of 1852, which employed twenty hands, pass through its many vicissitudes until it became the American Watch Company, with nine hundred em-
[ tipped-in page ]
[ portrait photo ]
Born January 3, 1806.
Born August 24, 1802.
Married June 2, 1825.
This picture taken on the sixty-fifth anniversary of their marriage.
[ p 5 ]
ployees and a daily producing power of one hundred and fifty watches. Mr. Bacon is a member of Monitor Lodge, F. & A.M., being a past master; also a member of Waltham Royal Arch Chapter, and of De Molay Commandery of Knights Templar, of Boston. [^11]
Reuben,^8 son of Reuben,^7 m. 1st, Ruth Corbin. She d. July 19, 1838. He m. 2d, Jane M. Davis. He d. Feb. 22, 1891; she d. Oct. 5, 1879. Ch. Alonzo Reuben,^9 b. May 4, 1834, d. Mar. 26, 1835. Orlando,^9 b. Feb. 6, 1836. Reuben Alonzo,^9 b. July 1, 1838.
Edward,^8 son of John^7 m. April 3, 1839, Charlotte Hatch, d. Nov. 18, 1857. She m. 2d, Dec. 9, 1859, Benjamin Brown, d. Oct. 11, 1888. Ch. Emily Frances, d. young. Lydia Ella, b. June 14, 1845, m. George B. Wheaton. George Edward,^9 d. young. Clara Estelle, b Dec. 2, 1849, m. John E. Dodge, d. Mar. 22, 18S0. Charlotte Eva, b. Jan. 30, 1853, m. Theodore L. Russell.
John Otis,^8 son of John,^7 m. Clara A. Goodwin. Ch. Alice, d. an infant. George H.^9 b. June 9, 1850, m. Eliza K. Whelpley of Boston, have Clara M. b. Jan. 3, 1881. Eugene,^9 b. Sept. 1853, m. Bertha Lawrence, of Ashby, have Lawrence, b. Jan. 13, 1882, Ramona Z. b. Sept. 1885. Josephine, b. 1855, m. S. S. Wiltsie, of Illinois, have George P. b. July, 1885. Mary A. b. Sept. 1859, m. Edward M. French, have Roland, b. 1886, Annie J. b. 1890. Theodore,^9 b. 1857, m. 1882, Addie Mann, have Florence, b. 1885. Clarence S.^9 b. 1865, m. Hattie Anderson. Charles,^9 b. 1868, d. young.
Warren,^8 son of Jonathan,^7 m. Aug. 1, 1841, Lucy A. Lawrence. He d. Feb. 5, 1868. Ch. Frederick Warren,^9 d. young. h Walter Frank,^9 b. Mar. 8, 1846. Frederick Warren,^9 b. May 4, 1849, d. Oct. 23, 1871. Flora Adelaide, b. Sept. 30, 1852, m. Horace K. Osborn of Arlington.
Walter Frank,^9 m. Oct. 21, 1868, Isabel F. Gilbert of Arlington. He d. Dec. 8, 1890. Ch. Warren Lawrence,^10 Dec. 21, 1869. Flora Isabel, d. young. Marion Nickerson, d. young. Franklin Gilbert,^10 b. Oct. 6, 1875. Olive Thayer, b. Aug. 13, 1887. Lucy Ann, b. Sept. 3, 1888.
Stephen,^7 m. Nov. 28, 1799, Mary Porter. He d. 1859; she d. 1856. Ch. Susan W. m. Timothy Jones, d. Oct. 5, 1888. Mary P. m. John Dudley, d. Sept. 29, 1826. Stephen Jr.^8 m. Maria Parkhurst, of Temple, N.H., d. Jan. 1867. Eliza, b. 1804, d. 1823. Caroline, b. Jan. 24, 1807, m. Abel S. Munroe, d. Jan. 21, 1866. Nancy, b. Nov. 8, 1810, m. Abel Fitch, 2d, Nathan O. Reed. Harriet N. m. Silas Sawyer, of Sharon, N.H., d. Aug. 19, 1856.
Nathaniel,^4 son of Michael^8 and Sarah Bacon, b. 1675, m. Judith Wyman. Ch. Nathaniel,^5 b. 1700. Judith d. an infant. Judith, b. 1702. Abigail, b. 1704-5, m. Thomas Grover. Sarah, b. 1707, m. Benj. Grover of Stoneham. Michael,^5 d. an infant. Susanna, b. 1710, m. Nathan Brooks of Concord. Michael,^5 b. 1713. Joseph,^5 b. 1716. Thomas,^5 1721.
Michael,^5 son of Nathaniel^4 and Judith, m. Nov. 24, 1743, Sarah Whittemore of Lexington. She d. April 17, 1745. He m. 2d, Mar. 5, 1747, Elizabeth, dau. of Job and Mary Lane, had 9 ch., of whom David^6 was killed by William Merriam on June 15, 1810. Solomon^6 lived on a rough farm on Pine Hill road.
Joseph,^4 son of Michael,^8 b. May 8, 1685, m. May 9, 1716, Rebecca Taylor of Concord. He d. 1747; she d. 1778 (see epitaph). Ch. Rebecca, d. unmarried. Ruth, m. Joseph Robbins, of Acton. Lydia, m. Amos Brooks of Harvard. Eunice, m. Samuel Bacon of Stow. For setting
off “widow’s thirds” see page 54. The heirs sold to Samuel Bacon of Stow, who with his wife Eunice (Bacon) Bacon settled on her homestead, later Thompson Bacon’s. [^12] Their ch. are Samuel, b. Feb. 16, 1749-50. Joseph, b. Nov. 18, 1751. Abigail, b. Mar. 15, 1754. Noah, b. Jan. 26, 1756. Stephen, b. Mar. 24, 1758. Joshua, b. Feb. 23, 1760. Seth, b. Sept. 26, 1761. Rebecca, b. Feb. 11, 1764. Mary, b. Dec. 31, 1765. These ch. of Samuel and Eunice are of the sixth generation, but as the father is not of the Bedford line from Michael they are not indicated as are others.
- A. E. Brown’s “Genealogical register” (1891)
in History of the town of Bedford (II: pp 2-5)
- in his history ∨ in history
- northwesterly ∨ northwestly
- 1672, ∨ 1762,
- inhabitant,” ∨ inhabitanc,”
- b. 1835. ∨ b, 1835.
- Julia A. ∨ Julia A.,
- April 16, ∨ April, 16,
- 1851; ∨ 1857; [*10]
- Francis Warren,^9 ∨ Frank,^9 [*10]
- enterprise ∨ enterpise
- Templar, ∨ Templars,
- Stow, ∨ Stowe,
- cf. Frothingham’s History of Charlestown: Number Two (1846) pp 78-88
- cf. Sewall’s History of Woburn (1868) p 592
- cf. Paige’s History of Cambridge (1877) p 482
- “the Bacon house”: the Michael Bacon House: 229 Old Billerica Road
- cf. (in this work) pp 82-83
- “Mager Lane”: Major (John) Lane
- “removed”: moved away
- “the meeting-house”: now First Church of Christ: 25 Great Road
- cf. (in this work) pp 23-25
- cf. Brown’s “Errata and Addenda” (II: p 48)